Monday, February 19, 2024

Second Hand Love

 
When I was first married,
I made my husband lunches 
to take to work.
After a while 
he started to throw them out
instead of eating them.
He wanted something better.
His co-worker said,
“Don’t throw them out,
give them to me.”
So he did.

When I was near the end of my marriage,

I had been asking all the years

for some company 

in the morning.

Every now and then,

my husband would agree.

And then he stopped

because he wanted to sleep.

Our foster said,

“I’ll take the morning hours with you,

I will give up sleep.”

So he did.


My husband became angry,

and I am not exactly sure 

what all that was about.

What I do know is that

my acts of love were trash

and my company was important 

to a boy.

And maybe my then husband

could not swallow

what he had thrown away.


No comments:

Post a Comment